Red Planet Day
Every year on November 28th, Red Planet Day commemorates the launch of Spacecraft Mariner 4 on November 28th. It's also a day to learn more about Mars, which is also known as the red planet.
Spacecraft Mariner 4 became the first successful flyby of Mars after three previous attempts. The spacecraft was launched on November 28, 1964, and it reached Mars on July 14, 1965. The successful mission took in 22 photographs of the Martian surface. These photos were the first-ever close-up photos to photograph deep space. This mission, as well as several others that followed, has helped us learn more about the red planet.
Here are some more interesting facts about this planet: Here are a few more interesting facts about this planet.
- It's the iron oxide on the planet's surface that makes it red
- Mars is half the size of Earth, but it is also the fourth largest planet on the planet
- About 33.9 million miles from Earth to Mars is the minimum distance from Earth to Mars
- It's the fourth planet from the sun's moon
- The two moons on Mars are named Deimos and Phobos
- The temperature range is from -191 to 81 degrees F
- The atmosphere is thin and mainly made up of carbon dioxide
- Mars boasts the world's highest mountain, with a 3 times the height of Mount Everest
- There are 687 Earth days on Mars, one year on Mars
- On Mars, scientists found evidence of a lake under a polar ice cap in 2018
One more surprising fact is that a 100-pound man would only weigh 38 pounds on Mars due to the difference in gravity. So many people want to go to Mars, it's no wonder so many people want to go to Mars! In fact, NASA intends to bring humans to Mars as early as 2030.
How to celebrate #redplanetday
On this day, science centers, planetariums, and schools will host various activities to help people learn more about Mars. To participate: To participate: To participate: To participate: You must register:
- Look for Mars in the night sky by looking low in the western sky right after sunset
- Learn more about Mars online and watch videos about the red planet
- Mission to Mars is a film that focuses on Mars, including The Martian, The Last Days on Mars, Total Recall, and Mission to Mars. There are films that feature Mars, including The Martian, The Last Days on Mars, The Last Days on Mars, Total Recall, and Mission to Mars
- With your children, build a solar system model
- Learn more about the Spacecraft Mariner 4. Learn more about the Spacecraft Mariner 4
#RedPlanetDay is a hashtag on social media. Share this day on social media with #RedPlanetDay.
History of the red planet day has long existed
When Red Planet Day first occurred, it's unknown when it was established. Every year on November 28th, it is held to celebrate the launch date of Spacecraft Mariner 4's 4.