Many professional cake decorators started their careers as hobbyists. It allows them to express themselves in an edible form. For several of life's occasions, from baptisms and birthdays to weddings and anniversaries, we make or buy decorated cakes for many of life's occasions. Decorated cakes help carry out any party or event's theme.
Did you know cake decorators use at least six different types of icings? They may use more than one style of cake, depending on the type of cake. Some help keep the layers together like glue. Some form layouts are more effective. And yet, other types of icings or frosting add details.
There are six basic icing or frosting varieties available
- Butter Cream – This soft and spreadable icing is delectable and is popular among bakers. It's made with sugar, butter, or margarine
- Cream Cheese Frosting – This rich and soft frosting pairs well with cupcakes and red velvet cake by combining Butter Cream frosting and cream cheese
- Fondant – Made with gelatin, glycerine, shortening, and other ingredients, this sculptable and moldable frosting creates a variety of cake styles
- Meringue – Egg whites, cold water, and granulated sugar beaten to a frothy consistency create a delicately light and airy frosting. The final product can be chilled or baked to a crisp. This frosting can often be found on top of tarts or pies
- Royal Icing dries to a hard shell, as this paste-like frosting, Royal Icing dries to a hard shell. This icing is easy to recognize colors, made from egg whites, icing sugar, and lime juice
At a beautifully presented meal or dessert, we ooh and awe. Cake decorators take the challenge and present us with the works of Van Gogh, Monet, Frida Kahlo, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Julia Morgan in pastry form. Not only do we celebrate with dark chocolate ganache, but our eyes can't comprehend the feats before us. Cake artists also create sugar art at times. Their flavors and inspiring designs delight us.
How to celebrate cake decorating day is a mystery
Decorate a cake. Thank you for your new cake and decorator. Give them a shout out and let them know you appreciate their hard work and dedication. Share your favorite designs or your memories of past cakes that impressed you. What would you like to see in cake design? If you're a cake decorator, please share with us your most impressive design. Show off! And while you're at it, pat yourself on the back, flour print, and all.
Be sure to invite someone to #CelebrateEveryDay with you and enjoy a delectable decorated cake. To post on social media, use the hashtag #NationalCakeDecoratingDay.